Saturday, October 12, 2013

Cookiemon

I think I've mentioned this before, but Karen found a small group of people around our age that play board games every week. This week we hosted and I wanted to make something tasty and also super nerdy. Both of those criteria were met in full when I found a recipe on youtube for PokeBall cookies. As it turned out I used the idea from the video and a sugar cookie recipe from my very favorite-est food person, Alton Brown.

Ingredients!
The sugar cookies came together very quickly even though my butter was not quite as softened as it should have been before creaming together with the sugar. In the mean time I sifted together the flour, salt, and baking powder. After the butter was well creamed and light, fluffy, and pale yellow, I added one egg with some milk. I believe it was a tablespoon, but I'll post the link to the recipe and the youtube video at the end of the post.

Light and fluffy.
I love these tiny glass ramekins for everything when i'm cooking.
After the egg and milk mixture was incorporated I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract. The recipe does not call for it but I enjoy a bit of vanilla in any cookies I make. After mixing the vanilla in for another 30 seconds to a minute, I began to slowly add in the dry ingredients. Be sure to scrape down the sides between adding new ingredients so you make sure everything gets incorporated. If you're like me and always discover that you've dropped a bit of flour over the side of your mixer, don't worry. It'll still turn out fine. Mix your dough until it comes together and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Split the dough into halves and color one half red. Be smarter than me and don't try to mix the color in by hand. It takes forever. Roll into logs, wrap in plastic, and place in the fridge for about an hour.

It's lo-og! It's lo-og!
After your cookie dough logs have firmed up, remove them from the fridge and slice down the center, splitting them into half moon shapes. Stick a red half to a white half. You can use water or egg wash to seal the two halves before you re-wrap in plastic and stash in the fridge for another hour.


I am very happy these stuck together.
After your cookie dough has chilled for another hour or so slice off rounds. Remember to use a circle cookie cutter to make a nicely rounded shape. I didn't. I still think they looked good. Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges are just browning, in a 375 degree oven. Let the cookies cool, then ice the cookies with a black line across the seam where the red and white mix and a black circle in the middle of the cookie. Top the black circle with either a small white round candy like smarties, or with a mini marshmallow cut in half.

Don't try to carry more than 6 cookies at once!

All that's left now is to enjoy! Maybe pretend it's still back in the day when the first games came out, too.


Bye!

-R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLCwWl_Gyc <- The YouTube video I got the idea from.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe/index.html <- The sugar cookie recipe from Food Network




No comments:

Post a Comment