Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This post is a real Pita.

Even though the majority of my food TV viewing these days is in the form of Amazon Prime or Netflix I still manage to keep up a bit at least with some of my favorite chefs. Anne Burrell in particular is fantastically entertaining. The fact that she is rather talented is a nice bonus. When I saw that she was doing a whole wheat pita bread recipe it awakened in me a craving I had not previously known that I had.

The dry goods. I really need to come up with other things to use that whole wheat flour in. Not pictured: wet goods
I decided that I would have to take a stab at this magical food containment device called the pita bread. I am still not entirely sure how it works even after making it. Something about gluten and air and yeasts burping their little gases all over the place i'm sure. Some fun in-progress shots are below. I didn't quite get as many pictures of anything but the dough as I should have. The dough was completely captivating.


After the dough rose for about an hour, I portioned it out into 8 approximately equal pieces and rolled it out to what I believed to be an appropriate size. I'm pretty doubtful that they were the size called for in the recipe. Often when i'm rolling out dough i'll just stop when I decide i'm finished. The results are nearly always tasty!

Eight "equal" pieces. What?

They were super quick to cook once they rested the second time. I was pretty surprised at the amount of browning they took on in just the 6 minutes they were in the oven. They were pretty good though. Not overly wheaty from the whole wheat flour but there was a definite flavor hit from not using only all-purpose. The cayenne was a pleasant addition as well.


I had already decided that the protein for these lovely breads would be chicken, but I didn't do anything specifically fancy except for grill it with a bit of salt and pepper. I did end up making a quick and very easy yogurt sauce though, just yogurt and garlic with a bit of lemon juice. For some freshness and a bit of heat I very roughly chopped up some tomato and red onion. For as simple as it was, I really enjoyed this as a meal, and will definitely be doing it again.


Pita bread recipe from : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/lamb-burgers-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment