Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Seasonally Appropriate Menu

Have you noticed that lots of grocery stores only carry apple cider in October?  Or at least, they only display it in areas that are easy to see in October.  I have noticed, because my brain says "Look!  Apple cider!  You should make Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce!"  


The ingredients!  No, I think the lemon juice looks fine.  It must be your monitor.  

I came across this recipe years ago living in my first house with cable (and the Food Network!)  We had cable because my roommate got it.  I guess that How to Boil Water was on at a convenient time, because they made this recipe and they made it look super easy.  So I tried it, and it was awesome.  In fact, I made a whole dinner with roasted asparagus and rice pilaf.  

Look! I remembered to take pictures while cooking!  I'm pretty fancy.

I just checked on the internet and the show is still running!  Wikipedia says it's been going since 1993.  Crazy!  Here's the link: Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce.  

Ta-daa!

Notes:  Even though you use cider to make the sauce, it's not particularly apple-y or cider-y.  You will feel silly for buying a huge thing of apple cider and only using half a cup.  
Secrets: Pan sauces make you look (and feel) super fancy, but they are really super easy.  


Proto-apple dumplings

Still reading?  We had apple dumplings for desert.  These were pretty easy, too.  This recipe came from America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2009.  You basically bake apples in a pastry dough, then cover with a cider syrup.  I made one major departure: the recipe called for puff pastry, but they were sold out at the store.  What they did have was single sheet crescent roll dough, so I used that instead.  It worked great!

Apple Dumpling with cider syrup

What 1: Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce
Notes 1: Pretty good.  Let sauce cook down more, use less butter
Where 1: Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce, Food Network: How to Boil Water

What 2: Apple Dumpling
Notes 2: Awesome!  Using crescent roll single sheet dough works great.
Where 2: America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2009

1 comment:

  1. That dumpling is so cute!
    I wish I could watch Food Network shows somewhere other than on cable. It would be awesome if they were on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete