Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tortilla Casserole

This recipe was AMAZING.  I started with high expectations (tortilla casserole, hello)  and I had some doubts that it would be worth it at about the time I was trying to peel the chicken off the pan (why you stick to pan, chicken?) but in the end, WOW.  Bonus - no canned soups!  Or cream of X as one of my friends would call it.  Maybe she stills calls it cream of X.  We haven't talked about canned soups in many years.  

I completely forgot to take pictures.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I forgot about taking pictures until I served it, at which point I looked at the pile of goopy, lumpy, mostly brown looking mush, and I knew that no picture I could take at that point would do it justice.   

But, because blogs need pictures, I found some on the internet, just for you.  

This pic comes from The Lazy Housewife Cooks

This one comes from Surly Kitchen

You see the challenge.  

The only question left is what to do with most of a can of chiles in adobo sauce?  Look out - that stuff is HOT!

What: Tortilla Casserole
Results: Yummy!
Source: America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2009



4 comments:

  1. I do still call it Cream of X! But I refrain from cooking with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that some things never change :)

      Delete
  2. those freakin chiles in adobo sauce are SO hot. i used some in a stuffed mexican sweet potato recipe and could not eat them they were sooooo hot. this looks yummy though! love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've noticed that America's Test Kitchen uses the chiles in adobo sauce a lot, especially in the slow cooker recipes, but never more than one or two.

      Delete